Iowa

Iowa

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

New Beginnings

School started today for Monkeyboy. This after a weekend full of fun things. Labor Day was spent buying roller blades for Monkeyboy and Bean. Bird held onto Monkeyboy by the scruff of his neck so that he could use his arms for balance. New things to learn. It has been a big summer for him...baseball championship, learing to ride his two wheeler, new kitten and now his rollerblades. School went ok for him today. David threw something and didn't get a card pulled...has he already been deemed a problem? Kids get labeled pretty quickly, both by other kids and by teachers. Mippy and I got new walking/running shoes yesterday. So many to choose from, but we settled. I got Nikes, I forget what she got. I love to go to the park in the morning on my way to work to walk. I love to see the elderly gentlemen walking, always chatting, always friendly. It amazes me to see the runners who really run, and very fast. It is peaceful there in the morning, a very nice way to start the day. The track comes later, and harder since I am tired. I'll keep trying. I registered for the race tonight. Here's hoping.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true, but we label as adults too. I guess we learn young. Teachers label, kids label, but when someone bullies, what is to be done? I see it in very young children. I correct it when I see it, but it happens. Our schools here have a no tolerance on bullying, but I don't think it is working very well.

Anonymous said...

How great it is that your grandchildren are into so many different things! I'm sure it's a struggle for parents, but to be so involved with kids is something they all will remember. I remember being chased home by some kids. My parents told me to stand up to them, but they never told me how! Wasn't it Tigger who said he had to beat them up? Anyway, I like the picture of monkeyboy with his dad helping. That's nice.

Anonymous said...

I think you are committed to this race now, mia. You and Bean have to do it, we are all waiting and cheering. I am not going to cheer for nothing. I have marked it on my calendar as Kitty told us the date. So, drag out those new shoes and do it. What is it Nike says? JUST DO IT. I can't imagine doing it, so you have to.

Anonymous said...

I just want to know if Monkeyboy is doing the Great Race!!!! But, if he doesn't, that's ok, sounds like he had a great and productive summer. But it might make a good story.

Anonymous said...

Goooooooooooooooo, Mia!

Anonymous said...

I remember learning how to skate...we didn't have roller blades, just the old fashioned skates. Nor did we have the pads. I remember running right into a friend's grandmother because I didn't know how to stop. Almost knocked her over. She was not very nice about it. Geesh, you would think I did it on purpose. Go, momkeyboy. I'm sure Bean already knows how to skate, which should be good incentive for monkeyboy to "keep up". Have fun skating!