Iowa

Iowa

Friday, September 26, 2008

Oh, no, it's time

I was in court today, so on the way back to the office I stopped to get the race packets. I arrived at 10:30 AM and walked in to get our numbers. Found them with no problem. Strolled inside along with other real runner looking types, you know....running pants, $200 shoes, the works. Went over to get our tags and alas, was told "We don't open until 11:00". I tried to give them a sob story and they sent me to a very mean lady, who said the same thing. I asked her why I couldn't get my packet and tag now since all seemed ready to go. "No," she said. "We start at 11:00." "But those people got their stuff," I whined. She raced off and began yelling at them. They looked startled and began to walk quickly out the door. So, she began yelling at the volunteers. Finally, at 10:55 she gave the go ahead. Now, by this time, everyone was cranky. The women who gave us the tags were fine, BUT the ones who handed out the packets were very cranky. The woman who handed out the bus tickets directed everyone to the table for old Great Race t-shirts that were only $1. You can imagine what chaos ensued. Fighting my way back out of the hall and to the car, I discovered that I had forgotten a map of the pick up site, but there was no way I was going back there! I called Mippy on the way home and told her I would deliver her packet and Bean's packet. After much fumbling around and trying to figure out who got what shirt, I arrived at home to examine everything. Whoops, got the wrong shirt. Called Mippy who informed me that Bean was cutting the shirt in her packet because......it was too big. Oh, well, they aren't my colors anyway. I'm not ready for this, you know. I'm old and I had surgery not long ago and I think I am still having side effects from the anesthesia. Oh, and I know it will be foggy and my hair will droop and my picture at the finish line will be awful. How did we ever run a marathon? Think of Bean, Mippy and I as you wake up Sunday in your nice, comfortable bed. I'll surely be thinking of you...and it may be that your ears will be burning. I'm going to go rest up now for the race....I'm really not ready for this!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on, Mia, Bean and Mippy. You can do it. I sure as heck couldn't, but I have faith in you. As I am curled up in a nice warm bed, I'll think about you. How many people run in this race anyhow? Is it on national tv? Good luck, you guys. Can't wait to hear about it.

Anonymous said...

At least you got down there early, it was a madhouse at lunch time. Did you set a time in which you want to finish? I am going to try for 42 minutes. Probably won't do it, but it is worth a try. They already have everything ready at the start line for the 10K. This is great weather, and Mia, don't worry about your hair. I can't believe you would! Have fun doing the race and I can't wait to hear how it went for you.

Anonymous said...

forgot about that race. I'm sure you all will do just fine. And I am glad it is you and not me. Monkeyboy not running? I remember your story about him and was hoping for another. Good luck and let us know how it went.

Anonymous said...

I hear there are 10,000 people that are going to run it, Mia. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

My saddle shoes are shined and can't find any bobby socks. Now who's revealing their age? (Actually, I wore tennis shoes, came in at the tail end of saddle shoes in hs)

Mia and Ben, there our man, if they can't do it, no one can. Gooooo Mia and Ben!!! Cartwheel, back flip, russian split,etc, etc.
Whew, I think I hurt something.

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha, ha. Good post Kitty. I'll head up the band with my baton and head majorette uniform. I will throw it high up in the air and hope it doesn't hit either of them on the head. Go, team, you can do it! I sure as heck couldn't.

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to offer but good luck. Hope you all run like the wind.

Anonymous said...

Mia, if you don't do well, you can always blame it on us keeping you up too late playing cards and coming out a loser.

I loved the cheer from wicked kitty. Sorry to say, I was never a cheerleader but I did play basketball and got cheered on by those cute little things.