Iowa

Iowa

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Baseball, Flowers, Gardens, Life, Boredom

A beautiful Sunday afternoon, sitting at the computer, waiting for Monkeyboy's Sunday ball to begin. Another great, relaxing weekend.
Well, kind of. Cleaned out the closet. Since my lifestyle will be changing very shortly, I have to go through all clothes and shoes and decide which to save and which to disperse. Business attire. Never to be used again. So, I make piles. Pile one is clothes to be donated. Pile two is clothes I will never, ever, in a million years, fit into ever again. Pile three is clothes I probably will never wear again, but can't part with. Pile four is the "keeper" pile. And then there are the shoes. Sometimes I wonder why I ever bought plaid shoes. And how about the strappy black silk shoes? There are pairs of shoes I have never worn. And there are sneakers that are oh, so comfortable. I have not yet begun to go through t-shirts. Mippy and I used to enter races all of the time, and we always got t-shirts. Three drawers worth of t-shirts. I don't wear t-shirts much anymore, nor do I run races much. I have lots of piles on the floor of the bedroom.
Monkeyboy played under the lights on Friday night. Perhaps "played" is too strong a word. His team does this once a year (plays under the lights), and it is something we all look forward to. Until the game begins. Monkeyboy's team was one man (or boy) short. Perhaps that had some impact. Perhaps not. The scorekeeper quit registering the score once the other team hit 18 runs in three innings. Such a wild cheer, and of course, the "wave", when Monkeyboy's team scored one run in the third inning. Soon to be followed by six more, but alas, they lost. Parents on the other team began to cheer when we got a hit. I don't even know the score, and that really doesn't matter, because in the end, the kids were thrilled to be playing under the lights, and the parents were thrilled that we scored. That 18-0 did not look so good on the board however.
The Pens played last night, kind of. The Redwings looked very good. I'm not sure why hockey players just hit the puc, not to anyone in particular, they just slam it down the ice. I'm sure Ben and Bill will explain it to those of us who are clueless.
They began the landscaping on Friday. I watched some, between lunch with friends and Judge Judy (one of my favorite shows, you know). I am always amazed when professionals seem to know exactly what to do and how to get it done. I don't know why I am amazed, but I am. I lost the plan they drew for me, so this is all quite a surprise, and a pleasant one at that. I didn't know they were going to put in a path, and it looks wonderful. They will hopefully finish it on Tuesday.
The front "garden" is one that I undertake each year, and it looks awful as usual, but at least there is something there.
I watched Susan Boyle sing again last night, and she has an amazing voice. I also watched "Diversity", the dance team that won. How innovative! I don't watch the talent shows, but these two were amazing.
Since I was sitting at my computer, waiting for baseball, I decided to start goggling (is that a word?) different words and phrases. I found out how to fix my front walk, how to find cat safe plants, how to get rust stains from concrete. It's amazing, you just put a word or phrase in the box and get all kinds of answers.
There will be no snack bar at the baseball game, so I had better get some lunch. Oh, by the way, don't try to reheat a bloomin' onion or Texas Rose...you know one of those deep-fried onions that you get in restaurants. What a mess, and it was awful! Tried to do it for the hockey game last night, and it just did not work at all. Big, blob of a mess.
GO PENS!!!! Have a wonderful Sunday!

27 comments:

Michele said...

Mia,
Glad to hear your landscaping is coming along! That tree looks great to sit under and relax. Sorry to hear about Monkeyboy's game, but win or lose it is always excited to play under the lights. :-) Though winning is always more fun. In regard to the bloomin' onion, they are best reheated when you pull them apart, place them on a tray and either use a toaster oven or conventional oven. Microwaves kill them. Last night I didn't get to see the Pens play, but I am looking forward to it tonight. Check out my weekend at www.themarblejar.blogspot.com and I see you stopped by before, thanks for reading it!

Ben said...

mia, when it looks as though they are shooting in the wind, it is because they are trying to get it away from their goal. The Pens played well, just didn't get the score. To be honest, I have never tried to reheat an onion, I never had any to bring home. Maybe Monkeyboy and the Pens will have a better game today. That tree looks mighty inviting. One thing I miss living in the city is a back yard with trees. We all make compromises, I guess. The flowers look pretty, mia. Did Bean help you again this year?

SassySam said...

Clothes? Shoes? You're getting rid of them? How does one do that? I mean, I have run out of closets and am thinking I am going to have to rent a large storage area for clothes. Do they rent those? I have no green thumb, so I don't bother. Just plant grass everywhere and water it sometimes. Oh, and have someone to cut it for you...never learned how to start that mower. Anyway, Monkeyboy, hang in there. It's all about having fun and being a part of the team.

Cathy said...

If Mia's blogging, it must be Sunday! I love it when my "you've got mail" comes on and it's a note that mia has blogged. I think the flowers are lovely, Mia. I google all the time and have found a wealth of information to read. It really can be very helpful. I saw the you tube of the finals of the talent show. Amazing, wasn't it? Sam, I don't think they have storge areas specifically for clothes, but if they do, I'm sure you will find it! I'll cheer for the Pens tonight, since we HAVE to watch it. Go Pens.

ginger said...

Loved watching the night game and doing the wave. What fun even though we've only been to two games and had to have blankets at both. Hope to see one in warmer weather before it's over.
The yard is shaping up already. Anxious as you are to see the finished job.
I loved all your labled piles of clothes. You missed one. It's usually some cute little number like a teddy and it's called....... "I have a dream"

Angela said...

I hear all this noise from the famiy room, so Pens must be playing the Redwings. I think your flowers look beautiful, Mia, and I love the tree and the area for sitting. It does conjure up an image of a glass of lemonade and a good book, doesn't it?

Jessica said...

Laughing at Ginger's comment! Particularly true during playoff season. Your yard looks great, Mia, especially the flower pots. I hear the Pens are behind at then end of 2. GO PENS!

Bill said...

Pens lost. Coming home and hopefully things will change. Mia, The basic idea is to move the puck among the five offensive players until one of them has an opening and can shoot. Good passes are essential, and so is making use of the man advantage.
Get the two-on-one situations.
Get the puck to the open man.
Get off the shot. Hope Monkeyboy's team won today.

Jen said...

that's a beautiful picture of the mountain laurel, mia. I like the one of the path to nowhere. I love flagstones and have them in my yard, also. How did Monkeyboy's game go today? Your description of the game was funny. It's good that the parents cheer no matter what team. It truly is about learning to play as a team, good or bad.

Lori said...

I want to go to Monkeyboy's games.

Mark said...

Redwings are all over Malkin and Crosby. Pens are playing well, they just can't get into score. Sounds like you really enjoy the basball games, mia. And they do sound like fun.

SocialWorker2 said...

The agony of defeat, both for the Pens and Monkeyboy. Your yard is going to be lovely, send us pictures when it is done, too, Mia. And the flowers are beautiful. Especially the mountain laurel. We don't have that around her and it is so delicate looking.

bean said...

Your yard looks nice so far Mia. I can't wait to see it when it is all done. I also think that the Pens are playing great hockey and that they just need to take it to the next level. They are getting a lot of hits and there were about one or two shots where we just had bad luck because they most definetely should have gone in! Anyway, Monkeyboy won 1/2 of his games yesterday, so it wasn't bad. We had fun and that's all that matters!!!

Elizabeth said...

Great job, Monkeyboy. Sounds like the Pens will get the next game. Your story about the game brought back lots of memories, Mia. The yard looks great from the pictures! Keep us posted.

Twigs said...

I google people, places and things. Seriously, what did we do before the internet? Your description of the game is very funny, mia. I have warmed up onion rings by putting them in the oven and they turn out okay, but I guess the onion retains a lot of the oil. We will have to cheer for the Pens tomorrow night!

Wicked Kitty said...

I love the landscaping. Gives me a good feeling inside. You need another pile of clothes Mia, labeled things for Kitty to paint in...or to paint on...or to design into a quirky new fashion. I know, some of us have such a one track mind.

And as for all this hockey stuff, well my technical advice is they need to get cheerleaders on ice skates. Bet that gets them out of their slump. And Ginger, everyone should have a dream.

Allie (cat) said...

Well, I used to be a cheerleader, does that count? But, I can't ice skate, or at least haven't since high school. And we won't say how long ago that was!
I think we should all pour a tall cool drink (or a saucer of milk for we cool cats) and sit under the shade tree. Your yard looks delightful mia.

Anonymous said...

A very nice yard, Mia. I think the Pens are done, but they made a good effort.

Kevin said...

Hey mia, tell monkeyboy that all teams go in a slump every now and then. Hopefully the Pens will pull one out tomorrow night. If Kitty and Allie could cheer, I am sure we could do it. And Ginger, do you want to join them in that teddy?

Tim said...

I am not wearing a teddy. Don't even ask.

Nate said...

Let's get ready to cheer the Pens on tonight. This will be their night. Baseball is such a summer sport and great fun to watch. We watch the farm team here, and I love it too.

Anonymous2 said...

The Pens are not done yet, so don't rule them out, Anonymous. No snack bar at the game, Mia? You should take snacks and sell them....for the team of course. I don't have much time to surf the net, but I love doing it when I do have time. I don't know what we did, talk to each other perhaps?

Ben said...

AND THE PENS WIN!

Bill said...

The neighbors are cheering and we are banging pans on the street. Good game Pens.

Wacky Mommy said...

Love the tree, the flowers, THE PENGUINS and Monkeyboy's team for playing so hard.

The New and Improved PussyCat Dolls said...

Dear Bill and Benji,

Say "Thank You," to Allie, Ginger, Tim and Kitty.

^. .^
--*--

ginger said...

Sorry, Kevin, that dream went by the wayside a long time ago. The only way I would put a teddy on now is if Tim put one on and you know there's no chance of that.

I can still be a cheerleader though. I'm very good at doing the wave.