Iowa

Iowa

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend....So Far

I was going to wait to post, but I have been getting pressure from SOME for a new post, so here we go.
What a beautiful weekend it has been! Sunny, hot and a great beginning to summer. Baseball tournaments, the Pens winning, some gardening and, of course, dinner out on a Saturday night.
It's been a fast week. Training at work that is very tiresome, except for CC in my unit, who entertains us as we go. Two more days this week. You know, this may be the best system that has been introduced in years, but my gosh, the training is awful! And everyone is mandated for this three day training. With the holiday and all of the trainings, people aren't around much, and it make for a very interesting day at the office.
Springsteen on Tuesday with Monkeyboy. I love Springsteen, but when a concert is due to start at 7:30 and doesn't start until after 8:30, I get a little angry. I mean, if there is a problem with something, let us know. But the E Street Band came on stage and gave a wonderful concert. Unfortunately, after an hour, Monkeyboy sat down during a slower set and fell sound asleep.
Had dinner with a friend of mine that I haven't seen in sometime, like 10 years or so. She made me laugh so hard remembering things and telling stories of her life now. It is so nice to reconnect. She was such a good friend and we lost contact. I don't know how that happens. She is back in my life now and we have pledged to meet every month for dinner. It was odd how we reconnected. I got one of those emails from another friend, and on the forward list was her name. So I clicked on it and sent her an email, and I am glad I did.
MJE is in NYC this weekend. Wonder if she made it to GCS to dance. Perhaps she will see Tim, or perhaps she can make arrangements to assist him should he need it.
The Pens are up three games over North Carolina. They play again on Tuesday, and we will all be watching here in the 'burg...well, all except Kitty, who doesn't follow sports much and only this year knew anything about the Steelers. I don't like it when the Pens are only up by one point, I close my eyes a lot at that point. Malkin got a hat trick the other night, and that was certainly a great thing to see. I thought he might get one last night, but he only got two scores.
Tournament for little league baseball. I believe this was only the first of Monkeyboy's tournaments. I do love to watch these games.
This one was quite a distance away, probably about 25-30 miles from the city. It was in a rural community and it was a beautiful drive. We saw one house and Mippy yelled..."Did you see that? Elvis forever". I thought that she had seen the same thing that I saw. I saw...on the roof...in a different color shingle....ELVIS. It was actually on the roof. I believe she saw it on a painted rock. This brings to mind some odd customs we have in Pittsburgh. We put chairs in parking spots to save them. And no one moves them. They wouldn't dare. People spend hours cleaning snow from a parking spot, then they put their chair there. They even do it in the summer. Not clean the snow, but put chairs to save parking spots. But I digress.
Tournament day number one. Everyone piles into the park and sets up their chairs. We all plop down and await the start of the game. Kids on the team are throwing balls to one another while parents watch with pride. Anticipation builds. Bean and Bird are practicing lacrosse while they wait. The teams take the field. Batters hit their spikes, hats are adjusted. Mitts are pounded, swings are practiced. And then the magic words. PLAY BALL.
"Little league ready" is called for the fielders, cheers for the batter. These parents are good, they cheer when someone hits the ball, they cheer when someone catches the ball, the cheer just to cheer. Coaches show respect for each other and for the teams. It is a good game and Monkeyboy's team wins. Hot dogs all around and off to the next game.
This coach is an idiot. Yells at his team, throws his mitt after each inning and tries to change the batting order, which I am told is not allowed. He is called on it and gets cranky. His wife does some crazy hoots and hollers while waving her arms furiously and screeching at the top of her lungs. Someone said she fell off the top of the bleachers after getting extremely wild on one play, but I think they were kidding, weren't they? Monkeyboy's team could do nothing, but, hey...they tried.
Home yesterday and up early this morning for another round. Bean and friends took younger kids to the playground, while Bird put up a canopy for some much needed shade. All of a sudden, our spot became the spot of the day. Made one feel popular.
Same routine pre-game. Team just couldn't get it together, but had a rally at the end. Not quite enough though and they lost. Hot dogs all around then off to the next game. The team could do no wrong in this game. Hit all the balls, got runs and fielded the ball beautifully. Game was called a win after four innings due to rain on the way and the uneven score...I believe 12-2.
It has been a great weekend. Tomorrow we go to the cemetery for a memorial service.
I hope your summer is off to a good start, and please remember those who served our country and are currently serving. Happy Sunday.

29 comments:

Ben said...

There is only one other time when a team has been behind by 3 at this point and has gone on to win. And I'm not sure if it was hockey. Anyway, it was a spectacular game. It's great to connect with old friends. Bill and I lost contact for a while. We were best friends throughout elementary and high school, but lost contact when we went to college. Reconnected, and glad we did. His wife is a good cook.

Jessica said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, mia. Some coaches can be such jerks. I love to watch kids play baseball. The story about Monkeyboy falling asleep is hysterical! How does one sleep through Bruce?? Your descriptions are so good, mia, I felt as though I was at the game. Funny how different people react. I laughed at the coach's wife description. I think, Mia, that we all miss you when you don't post. So, anyone bugging her, keep it up.

Angela said...

Oh, my, Ben. Is that ALL Bill is to you? His wife is a good cook? I am shocked. Mia, your description of the game is great, exactly what we went through when our kids were playing little league. Parents and coaches can be so good or so bad, but isn't that life? I saw that the Pens won, I'll continue to support them, but I am with Kitty. I don't understand the game, have no interest in understanding the game and won't even watch it if they get to the finals, whatever that may be! BUT, I will cheer for them. Elvis? I love it. Great post.

Cathy said...

Happy Memorial Day, though I am not sure that is the appropriate saying. We are getting ready to go to a parade and a service in the cemetary here to honor the veterans and those who are serving. Yes, that was quite a game with the Penquins. My husband said they would probably go on to "dance with Lord Stanley", whatever that means. Your descriptions are wonderful, Mia, they always bring a smile to my face. I am glad you listen when people tell you to post! Have a nice day, everyone.

Bill said...

Elvis has left the building, or not! That is funny. Ben would have you believe that the ONLY reason he comes here is because of the food. Never thought about it, but maybe that's it. Not true, he also comes because he needs help with something and he comes to beg because when I see it is him on my cell, I know it is only because he needs help with some new project in his house. And this one needs a lot of help. Little league is the best. I love to watch the games, and we all know what jerks some of the coaches can be. Pens are playing well, let's hope they can keep on to the Cup.

Tim said...

For all of you wondering, I am back home in my abode trying to ignore the front page story about me in the local papers. It would not have been so bad if everyone had showed up when they were supposed to, but one lone person in a pink tutu and ballet shoes made quite a spectacle. The emotional scarring will take some time to heal. Great post, mia.

Elizabeth said...

Old friends are often the best ones. I have been friends with a woman since we were in fourth grade. We are closer than sisters. We have had many changes over the years, and we have weathered them together. I always like to hear the little league stories, they remind me of days gone by. I hope the Penquins win, although it doesn't really matter to me. I don't even watch hockey!

Mark said...

Our son quit playing baseball when he turned 14 and I always enjoyed going to the games. But interests change and he got into cars, which proved to be helpful. He is quite the mechanic and wants to do it after high school. That is a true fan that puts the name in the tiles on the roof. Tim, I think I heard something on CNN and FoxNews, but I'm not sure. People forget, sometimes.

Twigs said...

I think I saw something on Fox also, Mark. There were so many people in the crowd that I couldn't really see what happened. Time to get ready to grill outside. I love this first time with burgers and stuff. It is a wonderful day here and we have no little league games to watch, but we'll have our own volleyball game once everyone gets here. Have a nice day, and thanks to those who have served.

SassySam said...

Has anyone seen the Memorial Day Sales at the mall? They are excellent sales. I am headed out there right now. Thanks to all who served. And have a wonderful day. To the mall.

SassySam again said...

Sorry Mia, great post. I liked the Elvis thing and the coach's wife.

SocialWorker2 said...

Sounds like a great weekend mia. It's been raining most of the weekend here. I think I like the baseball game with the woman shrieking best. Made me laugh.

Lori said...

It was a great weekend here and we are all exhausted. Time for showers, snack and hopefully, bed! Your post was funny, mia, especially about the elvis house and the coach's wife.

Klever Kitty said...

So, Mia folds under a little pressure, good to know. I also enjoyed the invaluable training by making good use of the 3 days spent in town. Started by strategically parking each day so that I had to stroll down Penn Ave., imagining how I would use all the available art spaces 4 rent. Yes, I easily amuse myself. Of course, the mandatory stop at Starbucks helped the creative process. At lunch I watched the birds in the fountain (honestly, I did not touch a feather) at the Cabaret Theater Square. Still having thoughts of Tim. Walked across the bridge to the North Shore Trail. Worked up the nerve to go into the Steinway Piano Gallery. Made it very clear to them that at a starting tag of $43,000.00 (up to $115,000.00) that I was only window shopping. They were still very kind to me and let me play a bit. Yes, the "training" was very good! Glad Tim made it home and good thing that he has a very good support group on hand here.

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine sitting in the hot sun for two days watching baseball games, but your description was very funny, Mia.

LINDA said...

Well I am the friend from "long ago" Mia said 10 years but it is more like 15 or 20 years. I forgive her because I also am getting older and do not remember things like I used to! Ha Ha only kidding LOL. Actually years ago I used to tease Mia about being older than me and she would say "HA HA just wait...you will see" she was right. Or was I cursed at that moment...possible. ALL kidding aside I am delighted to be back in Mia's life. I also do not know how we drifted. We were SO close. My fav moments together at dinner were when we would mention one word of a memory and both of us were right back there. I also appreicated the fact that it seemed we were comfortable right away just like we saw each other yesterday.

BTW- you are an impressive blogger!

Anonymous2 said...

Welcome to our crowd, Linda. Looks like Monkeyboy was in the process of a good catch. Little league is better than pro ball, the kids try harder!

ginger said...

Well our Memorial Day weekend was not as exciting as Mia's but we grilled and had the kids over.

I really have lost contact with most of my high school friends but I now have neighbors who have been friends for probably 45 years. We have gone through kids growing up, weddings, grandchildren and sad to say, deaths and we are still close.
I think that says something.

Thanks for the descriptions of the baseball games, Mia. It brings back memories for us with our son,
With the daughters, it was dance classes and cheerleading. What fun!

Welcome Linda, you have reconnected with an old friend and juat made a bunch of new ones.

Allie said...

We move around a lot, so it is sometimes hard to make friends. When we go back home, we meet up with our friends from school, college, kids that have kids. It's nice, but it would even be better to be in one place for more than a few years.

Tigger said...

Welcome to the new ones. Old friends are the best. They know all there is to know about you and they accept you regardless. I see the Pens are playing. I'll cheer for them, Mia, and hope the sew it up tonight.

Kevin said...

We moved a lot when I was a kid too, Allie, and I hated always being the new kid on the block. As an adult, I vowed to stay in the same city even if it meant switching jobs, which it hasn't. We have a ballfield nearby and I have gone there once or twice to watch a game. It's fun, I agree, even better than major league ball.

Nate said...

Elvis has left the building and gone to the roof in Pittsburgh. Great post, mia, and the Pens rule. I can't wait till they drink from the cup.

Jen said...

I can't imagine falling asleep during a Sprinsteen concert. That is so funny! And the coach's wife story is just too funny. It rained here all day Sunday and Monday, so our picnic was indoors. And Anonymous, watching little league is great fun, you should try it sometime!

Ben said...

The Pens did it. Now to get the Red Wings. Not sure we can do that, so let's enjoy this moment in time. Great Job PENS

ginger said...

Oh my gosh, Ben, we have to keep a positive thought. We have enjoyed the moment but are looking forward to drinking from the Lord Stanley's cup.

Let's clip those bird's wings!!

Witty Kitty said...

Always happy to welcome a cool cat, Allie.

Allie (cat) said...

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I have been reading the past postings and looking at the pictures. This seems like a really great blog. And there seem to be a few "cool cats" around here.

Ben said...

Don't worry, Ginger, I'll be cheering the Pens on. And we can celebrate together and take a drink from our own cup. ;) OK, Skipper can join us, too.

Tim said...

I appreciate the support group, Kitty, but I have put away the tutu and dance shoes for now. I went to the store today, and the press seems to have left the premises. So, you play the piano too? Is there no end to your talent? Hmmm, a show is coming to mind. We could enlist Bean. No, I think I cannot appear in my tutu again, just too traumatic. Besides, I am tired of shaving my legs.