Iowa

Iowa

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pets and Such

Over the years, we have owned many pets. Saucy was our first dog...a Welsh Terrier. Fat, mean dog. Always constipated. Then we got an Airedale. Mike. He was a mean dog too. Went after Poppy's girlfriend at the time. My mom then got a terrier named Skippy. He bit people too. We got a German Shepherd mixed and had to have her put down because she had some disease. We got Molly#1. She was a good dog, except when Poppy came to our house and called her, she ran in the opposite direction peeing across the whole room. He thought it was hysterical and continued to do so during his whole visit. We adopted a dog named Scuddles. She was a sheep dog. Mippy brought her then boyfriend with us and I believe Scuddles bit him, but I'm not sure. (It's the anesthesia, not old age.) Scuddles was a good dog, although she didn't like to be left alone. We had to buy her a wire cage, and it became a contest with her to see if she could get out of it. The first day she simply lifted off the lid by banging her head against it. When I pulled into the drive, she was sitting on the dining room table wagging her butt. (she had no tail) We finally gave up on the cage because she got out of it every time and ended up tearing up our bed, dragging sheets around the house. Once we left the door open to the cage, she was fine. Scuddles died very quickly of cancer. We found out about it and she died two days later. Cancer of the lungs. We didn't get another dog for a while, but then we got Molly #2. She was also a sheep dog. The main problem with her was that when she drank water, it didn't all go in her mouth. We have a tile floor in the house, which turned into a skating rink when wet. Need I say more? It was when we had Scuddles that we got Abbey. I believe I lied (hard to believe) and told Papap that I found her. Actually, Peta friend and I got her at the pound. When Papap walked in the door from work that night....well, let's just say, he was upset. Molly #2 didn't take too kindly to her either. Abbey took ONE LITTLE piece of dog food and Molly grabbed her by the head and flung (is that a word) her across the room. Abbey was in intensive care for two days. She seemed fine after that, and she and Molly became good friends...as long as Abbey didn't go near her food. Mippy, Bird and Bean came over for Sunday dinner at Christmas time...not sure if Monkeyboy was born yet. Abbey didn't like Bean much, so I decided to give her some cat nip to mellow her out. She got very goofy, which put everyone into gales of laughter, so I gave her a little more. (Bird said they had lots of cats and cat nip wouldn't hurt her, so it was his fault). She got goofy again, spun around three times and fell over dead on the train tracks. I mean really dead. The vet wanted to do an autopsy, but we passed on that. Molly missed her, but papap said no more animals. Molly was with us for quite a while, but old age took her from us. Now we have Ava, and she brings us great times and much laughter. Pets are a wonderful thing and everyone should have at least one. I was at Mippy's house tonight and tried to get a picture of Flurry. Impossible, she is a fast little kitten. We did manage to get one of Oscar. He's a great dog and seems to be tolerating Flurry quite well. Any pet stories?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot stop laughing. What a great post, mia. Been reading all the blogs, haven't been to your site in a while. I am a cat person, have three of them. I love them, but panic when one disappears for days at a time. I have no stories to compare with yours.

Anonymous said...

When I bought this house it was very confusing to Mutt, my dog. He was about a year old, still a puppy actually. My bathroom is large, about 8 X 10 (the advantage of buying an old home). I put the dog in the bathroom when I went to work. Put his bed in there, his water, his food and thought he would be fine. When I came home, he was wandering through the house and had left "gifts" for me everwhere. Chewed through the frame on the bathroom door, had managed to open the door and had free reign of the house until I got home. I found it too funny to do much to him. Luckily, I have been remodeling the house, so any damaged that he caused has been fixed. He is comfortable in the house, has been after the first few months. He's three now, and finally out of the puppy stage. I agree, pets are great, wouldn't be without one.

Anonymous said...

I'll go along with SW2, I am laughing so hard. My dog went after my ex-boyfriend when we got into a food fight. We were running around the kitchen and I was screaming with laughter and Casey (my dog) must have thought my ex was hurting me. Casey went after him with a vengence and I was laughing so hard, not at that, but at the food fight, I couldn't call Casey off. It's why he is my ex. No sense of humor. He wanted me to pay the doctor's bill. How dare he?

Anonymous said...

My pet story is more about taking your dog or pet to the vet. So, our first golden was named Ernie. He lived a long life and was the greatest dog ever, he was though 110 pounds and for his breed thats big! Anyway he got a tumor and eventually had to be put down. The point of the story is this, after we had him put down the vet asks if you want the ashes. They say its like $230.00! But of course they ask you at your weakest moment. So we say yes, about a week later I get a call to pick up his ashes to bury in the back yard. Expecting a nice container or at least something that showed a little respect to Ernie, i am handed a cardboard box containing a zip lock bag with ashes. Wow..$230.00 bucks...its not that the money is what i was upset about but geeesh! Anyway he has been happily spending time in our backyard able to watch us play, and Monkeyboy always makes sure his little stick marking is spot is ok. Vets are not cheap!

Anonymous said...

As if any of my pet stories could top these. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I was told by my parents to not allow the kitten outside. I was ten years old, and the kitten got out. I chased her and she ran up a tree. The more I tried to grab her, the more she went up the tree. I ran to get a chair from the patio to grab her, but she just kept going up. I ended up climbing the tree and screaming because I couldn't get the kitten and I couldn't get down, because I had knocked the chair down. My mother came out, got me down and told me the kitten would get down on her own, which it did. I wouldn't leave my window until it did, and I felt awful. I was much more careful with the door after that.

Anonymous said...

We have always lived in an apartment. We had a cat and a fish. The cat killed the fish, and my parents, in their infinite wisdom, went out and bought another fish without telling me. I knew because MY original fish had two black dots on it, and the new one didn't. I heard my parents talk about the "replacement fish" and how happy they were that I didn't have to know about the killer cat. I never told them.

Anonymous said...

Our one and only dog was a mongrel,the best kind. She trained quickly because every time she squatted, I threw her out the door so she could pee. She was a female, so I think most of the time she just wanted to sit down. Well, for two weeks she never sat down in the house but she was house broken.

She never did anything bad in the house and when she was ill, she insisted on being left out and she laid down and died. Never got another dog cause we figured we would never get one as good.

Anonymous said...

We always get our dogs from the pound, so you never know what you are getting. We picked one that looked like a black lab. Our vet (yes, Bird, they are expensive) said he wouldn't grow to be too big. He lied. Anyway, I was pregnant when we brought him home. When our son was born, he slept beside the crib. At first it was cute, but then he began to growl when my husband would go to enter the room. We laughed the first few times, but then had to get serious with him, letting him know he wasn't the baby's father. They grew up together, the dog and our son, and what a loss when the dog died. We have owned a dog ever since, but he was our first and our son's first.

Anonymous said...

Love animals but only really ever had cats. Except a white mouse once for a very short time. Now I am wondering what happened to it? DUH? Had mostly siamese cats. But dad built me a cathouse in the backyard and that was my first experience with stray cats moving in. Meshu went on the boat with us, played ball in the streets as a kitten and loved chocolate. Siam ate cantaloupe. Masumi was a princess. She caught lots of chipmunks and somehow I watched in amazement and horror of her love relationships with them. She'd sit on them and give look like "now where did it go?" I could go on and on and frequently do with the cat stories.