Iowa

Iowa

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Time Flies

I am having fun playing with photos. This particular one is a picture of "The Gates", an art exhibit in NYC's Central Park. The gates were created by Christo and Jeanne-Claude in 2005. Their flags covered over 23 miles in Central Park and took over 24 hours to unfurl all of the flags. "The Gates" alluded to the tradition of Japanese torii gates which were traditionally constructed at the entrance to Shinto Shrines. I liked them because I think they added color to the landscape in the dreary months of winter, but there were many complaints about them also. I decided to play with the photo and leave the color on the flags and turn the rest of the picture to black and white. I remember these flags, but I had no idea that it was three years ago that this was on display. The older I get the more time goes by much too quickly. I am reminded of it daily when I see Sprout, Monkeyboy and Bean. They measure their age in years, months, days....12 1/2, 7 1/2, etc. I don't do that much anymore. Comes too quickly for me. I like that I am again pulling out the camera and looking at the world through the lens again. I had lunch with friends today and one of them brought pictures of the mountains in Colorao. I remember Papap and I being at the Grand Canyon and me taking pictures and saying that no picture could do this justice. I think the real thing is the most beautiful, but every once in awhile, one can capture that beauty with a camera and that's what I strive for...a picture that captures the moment. I hope you enjoy the picture, it reminds me that there is brightness even in the darkness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when the exhibit was here. People really complained. It was pretty neat, but cyclists said it interfered,people said it was just ugly. People have some pretty strong opinions when it comes to art. Nice picture, mia.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those are really pretty. Was that the real color, or did you make them that color? Sometimes, New Yorkers need a sense of humor, no offense, tigger! That must have been an incredible sight.

Anonymous said...

That was the color, Sam, and no offense taken :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, posted a comment and it didn't show up. Makes me want to get my camera out and start taking pictures again after seeing this and Michele's pictures. I can't paint at all, so I can't do the artistic work that Tamara does. But pictures may work!

Anonymous said...

Kids are funny about their age, aren't they? They always want to be older. I, on the other hand, think it is time to quit revealing my age! I so wanted to be 21. Couldn't wait to hit "that magic age". Come to think of it, I still want to be 21!

Anonymous said...

Yes, pictures freeze some good memories.

Mia, I enjoy my calendar of pictures all year long and they always bring back good memories.

Keep up the good work, no matter what age you are physically. As long as you are young mentally.

Anonymous said...

I also remember the flags. Big controversy over whether this is really art and its exorbitant cost. Can't believe that was 3 years ago. That flips me right out! Are you done with your wooden floor yet Ben? I also enjoy working with wood. Actually, more along the lines of refinishing, painting and re-making old furniture.